Bánh Xèo | Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes
Makes 10-12 Crepes
Active Prep: 10 mins
Non-Active Prep: 3 hrs
Cook: 30 mins
9 oz rice flour
3 oz wheat flour
1 oz fresh turmeric
1 tsp salt
28 oz water
14 oz coconut cream
1 oz green onion, thinly sliced
8 oz white onion, julienned
4 oz mung beans, soaked in warm coconut milk
8 oz bean sprouts, washed
2 oz pickled fresno chiles, thinly sliced
1 lb shrimp, size 45/50, tail off, deveined
1 lb pork belly, crispy, fully cooked
1 head bib lettuce
1 bunch mint
1 bunch cilantro
4 oz pickled vegetables, optional
8 oz nuoc cham sauce
1. To make the crepe batter, combine all of the batter ingredients by whisking until fully incorporated. Rest the batter for 3 hrs.
2. Using the Everyday Briq, remove the heat spread and preheat the Spark grill to 600°F.
3. Once preheated, place a cast-iron pan on the center, hottest part of the grill and preheat for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of blended oil (mix of high-heat vegetable oil and olive oil), the julienned onions, the shrimp and pork belly and sauté until the onions begin to caramelize.
5. Whisk the batter and add 3 oz to the pan, quickly tilting the pan in a clockwise motion to spread batter evenly across the entire surface of the pan.
6. Add the coconut-soaked mung beans and the bean sprouts and cook with the grill lid down for 3 minutes or until bean sprouts are translucent.
7. Move the pan slightly off of the heat and allow for crepe to become crisp for additional 2-3 minutes.
8. To serve, fold the crepe in half, transfer to a plate and serve immediately.