Turon | Filipino Plantain Lumpia
Makes 10 Egg Rolls
Active Prep: 20 mins Cook Time: 6 mins
For the Turon:
5 sweet plantains, cut in half lengthwise into thin planks
8 oz young jackfruit, shredded
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 egg, for egg wash
10 egg roll wrappers
20 oz vegetable oil, for frying
½ gallon vanilla bean ice cream
6 oz coconut caramel sauce
1 tsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1. Preheat Spark using an Everyday briq to 600°F. Place a medium saucepan with the vegetable oil for frying on the center of the grill over the heat spreader. Heat oil until 350°F using the heat probe.
2. On a clean work surface, place the egg roll wrapper in a diamond orientation in front of you. Brush only the top corner with egg wash and let it absorb partially while you build the turon.
3. Roll the cut plantain planks in brown sugar until they are fully coated. Place two planks in the center of the lumpia so they’re resting against each other. Place 3-4 strips of jackfruit on top.
4. Roll the bottom corner over the top while tucking to seal in the filling. Fold over one side of the wrapper and then the other to seal in the corners of the turon.
5. Fry the turon for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy golden brown. Place on a paper towel to remove excess frying oil. Serve warm.